The Northern Pulp Nova Scotia Pulp Mill in Abercrombie Point, Pictou County, Nova Scotia has operated since 1967 and remains competitive in a global market.
What we do
We manufacture northern bleached softwood kraft (NBSK) more commonly referred to as pulp. Our product is derived from wood fibre that is used in all types of paper products. We supply our customers around the world with pulp to manufacture common household products such as tissue, towel, and toilet paper along with writing and photocopy paper.
The pulp manufacturing process at Northern Pulp
- We manufacture 275,000 tonnes of pulp, primarily for export, every year, supporting thousands of jobs throughout Nova Scotia
- The Mill operates approximately 353 days per year
- Since 1998, over $98 million has been invested in the Mill to ensure safety, efficiency and productivity
- The Mill is predominantly self-sufficient with an internal power generation facility which produces over 90% of our electricity requirements
- Our product is recognized in the market for its high quality, due to its strong tensile strength and low coarseness properties
- The Pictou Mill is ideally located to end-markets and has long-term access to high quality fibre (hardwood and softwood)
- We are the largest consumer of wood fibre in Nova Scotia